DOUBLE BLACK MARLIN ATTACK
The Kona charter fleet rarely sees two black marlin in a month. On Thursday, two blacks came in on the same day. One is the oddest catch of the week and the other isn’t. Here’s why.
BIG BWANA BLUE
Travis and Morgan Smith of Fort Walton Beach, Florida scored the biggest blue marlin tagged here in a while. The Smiths fished on the charterboat Bwana with Capt. Teddy Hoogs and crew Carl Shepard.
With May half over, increasing numbers of migrating ahi are moving into Hawaii waters and spreading east across the island chain. They reach Kona last and don’t build up to the big numbers of summer until mid-June.
ICE CAPADES AKU TOPS LIST
When Ice Capades performers come through Kona, they vie for honors in a continuing fishing tournament (“The Ice Capades Challenge”) hosted by Jennifer and McGrew Rice on the Ihu Nui II. Jennifer is a former skating star so its a chance for her to resume old friendships. On Saturday, it was a chance for one-time skater Rannie Renner Beaver of Las Vegas, Nevada to catch a 28-pound skipjack tuna and take over the otadu lead on our Big-Fish List.
CANNIBALISTIC BILLFISH PART 4
Our accounts of cannibal billfish seem to have become a series, though we shouldn’t be surprised. It is a fish-eat-fish world out there in the blue.
Recent stories of spearfish-eating marlin and spearfish-eating spearfish and marlin-eating marlin stirred up a nearly 60-year-old memory for Butch Chee.
Big-Fish List for 2016. The list recognizes the biggest fish caught on rod and reel (except opakapaka and onaga, for which we’ll accept hand line catches) in West Hawaii waters for 2016 in each of 22 categories. They are listed by species, weight, angler, skipper, boat, and date. The list is updated every Sunday throughout the year (copyright 2016 by Jim Rizzuto). If we have overlooked you, give us a call (885-4208) or send an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Blue marlin, 865, Louis Paulo and grandson Kalamaokalani Kelekolio-Crivello, Anela okaikea. April 16.
- Black marlin, 241.5, Rod Schill, Capt. Butch Chee, Duck Soup, May 14.
- Ahi, 227, Capt. Russ Nitta, Lepika. Jan 6.
- Bigeye tuna, 173, Dave Remillard, Miles Nakahara, Puamana II. Jan. 11.
- Striped marlin, 136.5, Mitchell Romero, Capt. Guy Terwilliger, High Flier. Jan 22.
- Spearfish, 54, Nick Humpries, Capt. Shawn Rotella, Night Runner, Feb. 26
- Sailfish, 91, Mike Foster, Capt. Shawn Rotella, Night Runner. Mar. 24.
- Mahimahi, 53, Nainoa Murtagh, Aulani. Feb. 10.
- Ono, 62, Charlie Ford, Capt. Shawn Rotella, Night Runner. Mar. 18.
- Kaku, (barracuda), 49.5, Koi Lorance and Tyson Fukuyama, Miki. May 7.
- Kahala, 70, Jessica Yell, Capt. Shawn Rotella, Night Runner. Jan 22.
- Ulua (giant trevally), 74, Bochan Johnson, from shore. Apr 3.
- Omilu (bluefin trevally), 18.5, Mikey McCrum, Shoreline. May 13
- Otaru (skipjack tuna), 28, Rannie Beaver, Capt. McGrew Rice, Ihu Nui, May 14.
- Broadbill swordfish, (vacant)
- Ahipalaha (albacore), (vacant)
- Kawakawa, 18, Capt. Shawn Rotella, Night Runner. Apr. 2.
- Kamanu (rainbow runner), 12.5. Tom Britton, kayak. Apr. 13
- Opakapaka (pink snapper), 9.5. Butch Chee, Sueto Matsumoto, Sandee. Mar. 12.
- Onaga (ulaula ko`aie), 19.5, Greg Hong, Kevin Shiraki, Erin Kai. Feb 25.
- Uku (gray snapper), 17.5, Devin Hallingstad, kayak. Mar. 24.
- O`io (bonefish), (vacant)
Beasts of the week (marlin weighing 500 pounds or more).
May 8: Spearfish (25) Carol Herren, Capt. Bruce Herren, Raptor
May 9: Blue marlin (550 and 125) Morgan and Travis Smith, Capt. Teddy Hoogs, Bwana
May 10: Blue marlin (140) Brett Johns, Capt. Lance Gelman, Medusa
May 11: Blue marlin (325), spearfish (30) Unknown, Capt. Joe Schumaker, Fire Hatt
May 12: Blue marlin (140) Phil Roberts, (140) Scott Ancheta, Capt. Chuck Wilson, Fire Hatt
May 12: Blue marlin (300) Ben Settecase, Capt. Shawn Palmer, Camelot
May 13: Blue marlin (125) Joyce Tapscott, Capt. Marlin Parker, Marlin Magic II
May 13: Blue marlin (180) Cody Canello, Capt. Tim Hicks, Illusions
May 13: Blue marlin (150) Elfreide Crawford, Capt. James Dean, Blue Hawaii
May 14: Blue marlin (150 and 150) Craig Lindner, Capt. Teddy Hoogs, Bwana
May 14: Blue marlin (150) Jack Tapscott, Capt. Marlin Parker, Marlin Magic II
May 8: Blue marlin (356) Hank Kochan, Capt. Chuck Wilson, Fire Hatt
May 9: Spearfish (50) Travis Smith, Capt. Teddy Hoogs, Bwana
May 12: Black marlin (241.5) Rod Schill, Capt. Butch Chee, Duck Soup
May 13: Omilu (18.5) Mikey McCrum, Shoreline
May 14: Aku (28) Rannie Beaver, Capt. McGrew Rice, Ihu Nui
May 14: Ahi (204) Brian Whitley, Capt. Neal Isaacs, Anxious