Rizzuto 47 11/16/15 On Thursday, Robert Ventura and his buddy Adrian Agcaoili took Robert’s 17-foot Boston Whaler out to F-buoy to try for the usual types of small game that hang around the FADs. He was hoping to catch fish for an upcoming celebration so he had aku, shibi, and mahimahi in mind.
Robert had set out a 6-foot standup rod with a Shimano Talica 25 reel. He had loaded the reel with 300 yards of 60-pound test line, which is long enough and strong enough to horse in any of the types of fish he expected to hook on it. He ran the line right through the lure — a feathered leadhead jig he had recently purchased at a grage sale — to the double hook with no leader. It’s a classic small-fish lure and the absence of a thick leader makes it more effective for fooling the sharp-eyed fish the two guys were after.
As they trolled past the FAD, their selection proved to be perfect when the line buzzed off the reel and they saw a 29-pound mahimahi jumping in the wake. The fish put up a scrappy fight but was soon stowed away on ice in their big bright orange fishbox.
They got the line back out, tried the buoy again and got hit again. Another mahimahi? The reel buzzed for a few seconds and then quit. Whatever it was had “pulled the hook.” The escaping lure had just annoyed the hungry fish so it came back for a more determined strike. Now the reel started screaming as line raced out full speed. The rest of the story and two more
Big-Fish List for 2015. The list recognizes the biggest fish caught on rod and reel (except opakapaka and onaga, for which we’ll accept hand line catches) in West Hawaii waters for 2015 in each of 22 categories. They are listed by species, weight, angler, skipper, boat, and date. The list is updated every Sunday throughout the year (copyright 2015 by Jim Rizzuto). If we have overlooked you, give us a call (885-4208) or send an e-mail (email@example.com).
- Blue marlin, 1,309, Michael Bilich, Capt. Mat Bowman, Northern Lights. Aug 26. (1,368*, Guy Kitaoka, Darrell Omori, Rayna. July 28, *electric reel).
- Black marlin, 209, Tim Flint, Capt. Butch Chee, Duck Soup. Sept. 7.
- Ahi, 233, Ken Smith, Capt. Bobby Cherry. Cherry Pit II, May 1.
- Bigeye tuna, 189, Meg Stern, Capt. Tracy Epstein, Last Chance. Feb. 19.
- Striped marlin (tie), 141.5, Capt. Rocky Guaron, Hooked Up, March 26 and 142, Jody Pintar, Capt Jeff Heintz, Linda Sue IV. April 8.
- Spearfish, (tie) 52.9, Floyd Pansano, Capt. Dale Leverone, Sea Strike, March 10; and 52.7, Kasey Buising, Capt. Mark Schubert, Captain Jack, March 6.
- Sailfish, 101, Craig Cugnit, Capt. Shawn Rotella, Night Runner. Jan. 31
- Mahimahi, 53, Ray Mohammed, Capt. Jim Wigzell, Go Get Em. March 15.
- Ono, 58.5, Asa Sugitan, Crazy Ann. Jan. 31
- Kaku, (barracuda), 49, Ben Bermoro, from shore. Aug. 14
- Kahala, 44.5, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2. July 8.
- Ulua (giant trevally), 104.5, Adam Hodgson, Kayak. March 31.
- Omilu (bluefin trevally), 13.5, Bruce Lentz, caught from shore. April 2.
- Otaru (skipjack tuna), 29, Unknown, Capt. Chad Contessa, Bite Me. June 2.
- Broadbill swordfish, 50.5, Tony Clark, Capt. McGrew Rice, Ihu Nui. June 6.
- Ahipalaha (albacore), (vacant)
- Kawakawa, 17.5, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2, June 20 and 17.2, Moorea Suguitan, Asa Sugitan, Crazy Ann. Oct. 8.
- Kamanu (rainbow runner), 21, Adam Hodgson, kayak. May 28, and 21.5, Jim Demand, Capt. Greg Kaufmann, Reel Screamer. Sept. 8.
- Opakapaka (pink snapper), (vacant)
- Onaga (ulaula ko`aie), (21) Earl K. Hind, Kilohana. Sept. 11.
- Uku (gray snapper), 16, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2, June 20.
- O`io (bonefish), 5.4, James Cintas (6 years old), Shoreline.
Beasts of the week (marlin weighing 500 pounds or more).
November 8: Blue marlin (40 and 40) Carol Herren, Capt. Bruce Herren, Raptor
November 8: Blue marlin (150) Bob Winslow, Capt. Marlin Parker, Marlin Magic II
November 8: Blue marlin (150) Anonymous, Capt. Kent Mongreig, Sea Wife II
November 8: Spearfish (30), Capt. Guy Terwillieger, High Flier
November 9: Blue marlin (140) Rich Hayward, Capt. Marlin Parker, Marlin Magic II
November 10: Blue marlin (280) Ferne Vaugeois, Capt. Kenny Fogarty, Hula Girl
November 10: Blue marlin (150) Unknown, Capt. Robert Hudson, Camelot
November 10: Blue marlin (140) Brad Colson, Capt. Marlin Parker, Marlin Magic II
November 10: Blue marlin (250) Michael Snider, Capt. Jeff Heintz, Linda Sue IV
November 10: Blue marlin (100) Carol Setniker, Capt. Trevor Child, Maverick
November 11: Blue marlin (120) Eric Pade, Capt. Kent Mongreig, Sea Wife II
November 11: Blue marlin (50) Unknown, Capt. Neal Isaacs, Anxious
November 13: Blue marlin (175) R. Keith Bowman, Capt. Jeff Heintz, Linda Sue IV
November 14: Blue marlin (200) Carol Herren, Capt. Bruce Herren, Raptor
November 14: Blue marlin (180) Greg Novotny, (300) Bill McDowell, Capt. McGrew Rice, Ihu Nui
November 9: Sailfish (78.5) Laakea, Capt. Lokahi, Haruko
November 11: Mahimahi (20, and 45), Unknown, Capt. Neal Isaacs, Anxious
November 11: Spearfish (50), Marlin Grando
November 12: Mahimahi (36), Capt. Russ Nitta, Lepika
November 14: Ahi (149) Jake, Capt. Scotty, Malia Anne