Black marlin are extremely rare here, which you can tell by following our “Big-Fish List.” The black marlin slot has been empty all year so far. The few caught off Kona since January were either not weighed or not reported. Occasionally, one or two black marlin lose their way along their regular feeding grounds from Australia to Panama. These strays are usually males and probably the more adventurous ones at that.
Last Monday, Capt. Butch Chee and his guest, Tim Flint of Olympia, Washington, found a 209-pound black marlin on the “Grounds” off Keahole Point. The unusual fish gulped down a live-baited kawakawa and fought Tim for about 20 minutes until they were able to secure it.
For more of the report
Big-Fish List for 2015. The list recognizes the biggest fish caught on rod and reel (except opakapaka and onaga, for which we’ll accept hand line catches) in West Hawaii waters for 2015 in each of 22 categories. They are listed by species, weight, angler, skipper, boat, and date. The list is updated every Sunday throughout the year (copyright 2015 by Jim Rizzuto). If we have overlooked you, give us a call (885-4208) or send an e-mail (email@example.com).
Blue marlin, 1309, Michael Bilich, Capt. Mat Bowman, Northern Lights. Aug 26. (1,368*, Guy Kitaoka, Darrell Omori, Rayna. July 28, *electric reel).
* Black marlin, 209, Tim Flint, Capt. Butch Chee, Duck Soup. Sept. 7.
* Ahi, 233, Ken Smith, Capt. Bobby Cherry. Cherry Pit II, May 1.
* Bigeye tuna, 189, Meg Stern, Capt. Tracy Epstein, Last Chance. Feb. 19.
* Striped marlin (tie), 141.5, Capt. Rocky Guaron, Hooked Up, March 26 and 142, Jody Pintar, Capt Jeff Heintz, Linda Sue IV. April 8.
* Spearfish, (tie) 52.9, Floyd Pansano, Capt. Dale Leverone, Sea Strike, March 10; and 52.7, Kasey Buising, Capt. Mark Schubert, Captain Jack, March 6.
* Sailfish, 101, Craig Cugnit, Capt. Shawn Rotella, Night Runner. Jan. 31
* Mahimahi, 53, Ray Mohammed, Capt. Jim Wigzell, Go Get Em. March 15.
* Ono, 58.5, Asa Sugitan, Crazy Ann. Jan. 31
* Kaku, (barracuda), 49, Ben Bermoro, from shore. Aug. 14
* Kahala, 44.5, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2. July 8.
* Ulua (giant trevally), 104.5, Adam Hodgson, Kayak. March 31.
* Omilu (bluefin trevally), 13.5, Bruce Lentz, caught from shore. April 2.
* Otaru (skipjack tuna), 29, Unknown, Capt. Chad Contessa, Bite Me. June 2.
* Broadbill swordfish, 50.5, Tony Clark, Capt. McGrew Rice, Ihu Nui. June 6.
* Ahipalaha (albacore), (vacant)
* Kawakawa, 17.5, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2, June 20.
* Kamanu (rainbow runner), 21, Adam Hodgson, kayak. May 28, and 21.5, Jim Demand, Capt. Greg Kaufmann, Reel Screamer. Sept. 8.
* Opakapaka (pink snapper), (vacant)
Onaga (ulaula ko`aie), (21) Earl K. Hind, Kilohana. Sept. 11.
Uku (gray snapper), 16, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2, June 20.
O`io (bonefish), 5.4, James Cintas (6 years old), Shoreline.