Rizzuto 50 12/07/15
A triple ono strike in December? The ono seem to have it backwards. Where were they back in May and June? Late spring and early summer are when you expect ono to hit in bunches but they were oddly absent half-a-year-ago. Well, whether backwards or forwards ono are still ono.
The Sea Wife II found them on Friday. Capt. Kent Mongrieg and crew Sawyer Slattery usually head the big, yellow charterboat out to one of the FADs to find fast action with small tuna for their novice anglers. That day Kent figured there would be time enough to work F-buoy or “The Cage” for aku and shibi after first trying an off-season ono run down the coastline.
Big-Fish List for 2015. The list recognizes the biggest fish caught on rod and reel (except opakapaka and onaga, for which we’ll accept hand line catches) in West Hawaii waters for 2015 in each of 22 categories. They are listed by species, weight, angler, skipper, boat, and date. The list is updated every Sunday throughout the year (copyright 2015 by Jim Rizzuto). If we have overlooked you, give us a call (885-4208) or send an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Blue marlin, 1,309, Michael Bilich, Capt. Mat Bowman, Northern Lights. Aug 26. (1,368*, Guy Kitaoka, Darrell Omori, Rayna. July 28, *electric reel).
* Black marlin, 209, Tim Flint, Capt. Butch Chee, Duck Soup. Sept. 7.
- Ahi, 233, Ken Smith, Capt. Bobby Cherry. Cherry Pit II, May 1.
- Bigeye tuna, 189, Meg Stern, Capt. Tracy Epstein, Last Chance. Feb. 19.
- Striped marlin (tie), 141.5, Capt. Rocky Guaron, Hooked Up, March 26 and 142, Jody Pintar, Capt Jeff Heintz, Linda Sue IV. April 8.
- Spearfish, 55.2, Heidi O’Grady, Capt. Andy Diehl, Bite Me 3
* Sailfish, 101, Craig Cugnit, Capt. Shawn Rotella, Night Runner. Jan. 31
* Mahimahi, 53, Ray Mohammed, Capt. Jim Wigzell, Go Get Em. March 15.
* Ono (tie) 58.5, Asa Sugitan, Crazy Ann. Jan. 31, 58.2, Kawika Devine, Arnie Wolfe, Kiana Kai. Nov. 16.
* Kaku, (barracuda), 49, Ben Bermoro, from shore. Aug. 14
* Kahala, 44.5, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2. July 8.
- Ulua (giant trevally), 104.5, Adam Hodgson, Kayak. March 31.
* Omilu (bluefin trevally), 13.5, Bruce Lentz, caught from shore. April 2.
* Otaru (skipjack tuna), 29, Unknown, Capt. Chad Contessa, Bite Me. June 2.
* Broadbill swordfish, 50.5, Tony Clark, Capt. McGrew Rice, Ihu Nui. June 6.
* Ahipalaha (albacore), (vacant)
* Kawakawa, 17.5, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2, June 20 and 17.2, Moorea Suguitan, Asa Sugitan, Crazy Ann. Oct. 8.
* Kamanu (rainbow runner), 21, Adam Hodgson, kayak. May 28, and 21.5, Jim Demand, Capt. Greg Kaufmann, Reel Screamer. Sept. 8.
* Opakapaka (pink snapper), (vacant)
- Onaga (ulaula ko`aie), (21) Earl K. Hind, Kilohana. Sept. 11.
- Uku (gray snapper), 16, Todd Shiraki, Treeny 2, June 20.
- O`io (bonefish), 5.4, James Cintas (6 years old), Shoreline.
Beasts of the week (marlin weighing 500 pounds or more).
November 29: Blue marlin ( 225) Carol Herren, Capt. Bruce Herren, Raptor
November 30: Blue marlin (60) Barbra Snyder, (60 and 175) Mike Snyder, Capt. Al Gustavson, Topshape
November 30: Blue marlin (60) Carol Herren, Capt. Bruce Herren, Raptor
December 1: Spearfish (35) Unknown, Capt. Marlin Parker, Marlin Magic II
December 1: Blue marlin (130, 150, and 150) Chris Fejes, Capt. Keoni Llanes, Holiday
December 2: Blue marlin (100 and 140) Gordon Duncan, Capt. Chad Contessa, Bite Me 1
December 2: Blue marlin (60, 60, and 150), spearfish (25) Carol Herren, Capt. Bruce Herren, Raptor
December 2: Blue marlin (250) Jay Oliver, Capt. Marlin Parker, Marlin Magic II
December 3: Blue marlin (120) Chris Fejes, Capt. Keoni Llanes, Holiday
December 3: Blue marlin (90) Colby Coombs, (120) Richard Netiker, Capt. James Dean, Blue Hawaii
December 3: Blue marlin (80) Jim Hughes, Capt. Bobby Cherry, Cherry Pit II
December 4: Blue marlin (140) Ben Vendale, Capt. Bobby Cherry, Cherry Pit II
November 29: Spearfish (55.2) Kylie O’Grady, Capt. Andy Diehl, Bite Me 3
December 1: Ahi (189.5) Rich Pierce, Capt. Bobby Cherry, Cherry Pit II
December 2: Striped marlin (63.5) Gordon Duncan, Capt. Chad Contessa, Bite Me 1
December 4: Spearfish (53) Johann Zipf, Capt. Bomboy Llanes, Lanakila
December 4: Ono (27.5, 31.5 and 42.5) Zak Elrite, Capt. Kent Mongreig, Sea Wife II